EDitorial ± 13-Nov-2000
Bean Of The Gods
You don't drink, don't smokeThe answer, Mr Ant, is that I drink coffee. Not exclusively, you understand, but usually a strong-ish brew for elevenses, some tall milky concoction after lunch, and a palate zapping mug post-dinner. I look forward to each one, and I'm almost sorry when all that's left are the grounds.
What do you do?
— Adam Ant
Here comes a snobbish confession: I don't drink instant. Used to, of course, though no longer if I can avoid it. 'Twas not always thus. At college it was Nescafe, Gold Blend or even Cafe Hag, all from the jar and with a sweetener. Ugh! But then my future mother-in-law gave me my first coffee machine one Christmas, and I was away. Come to think of it, the equipment has always been strangely attractive to me. Maybe it's a fetish?
An approximate personal timeline of java-producing apparatus:
-  filter jug, drip mechanism
-  Italian stove-top espresso maker (one big, one small)
-  Krups machine with espresso pump & cappucino steamer
-  six cup Bodum cafetiere
-  new one-cup stove-top, plus separate milk frother
If You Take Away With You Nothing Else
Two shots of espresso:
- that "delicious blend of caramel, vanilla, milk and coffee" being advertised by Starbucks currently ain't no macchiato, says my coffee man
- build up those levels of caffeine tolerance slowly, kids
- don't drink on an empty stomach