EDitorial ± 15-Jan-2001
I Want Candy
What I like are cheap sugary thrills. For instance: one Christmas present I was lucky enough to receive exactly three weeks ago (thank you, Bentleys) was a cash-and-carry box of pink shrimps, a selection of which are pictured. Yep, those ones you've most likely not had since you were at junior school. Confectionery doesn't get much more artificial, or tasty, than a Barratt candy shrimp, in my view. Must have had about 20p worth the other night while I was washing up. Only stopped when my teeth started furring up. Truly a gift that keeps on giving.
A random selection of other calorie-and-additive filled favourites:
- Marshmallow (any shape or form, provided it's in quantity):
- My birthday present from the Bentleys was a box of Flumps, the unmistakable yellow and pink double helix, long since eaten up
- Arctic roll:
- Take a sheet of swiss roll, coat it with jam, then wrap it around a block of vanilla ice cream; tremendous
- The Belgian bun:
- Walloping Chelsea bun-type-thing covered with white icing; hugely popular in Ghent
Fruit salad, blackjack, bazooka joe:
- those Haribo bags: even I draw the line at sweet fried eggs
- always floss after cleaning
- you did go to the dentist in 2000, didn't you?